Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Witch Trial

My daughter has been exhibiting typical adololecent behavior such as coming home late, lying and stealing. But after she explained that she was going to make handmade explosives to bomb the local school that I planned on enrolling her in, I thought she might be a danger to others. It brought to mind the Murders of the students at Colombine High School. I'm sure that scenerio could have been avoided if the parents of those children took action before their kids were angry enough to start killing people.

On 1/11/12 My daughter was involuntarily triaged at the ER of St. Mary's of Nazareth Hospital, Chicago. At that time I claimed a "religious exemption" from bloodwork and medication because my daughter was triaged in spite of the fact that I simply asked to speak to a family crisis counciler.It was my intention to speak with someone who could give my daughter a mental evaluation and possibly a referal to local youth counciler. I went there for an emergency intervention for my 13 yr. old daughter, Maya. I asked to speak to a crisis counciler on staff after a volatile episode in my home broke out. I used force to restrain her after our fight broke out.(I should note my daughter isn't easy to subdue because she's several inches taller than me and has about 20lbs on me.) We screamed at each other for about 10 minutes and finally she slammed her bedroom door in my face telling me she was leaving. My daughter was being extremly over dramatic in explaining to the nurse on staff that I "strangled" her with her necklace, when asked about an abrasion on her neck. After our interview, we were asked to sit and wait for a physician in a room in the emergency room.

I should mention that corporal punishment is not illegal in the United States. Physical disciplinary methods i.e. spanking, slapping, hitting...are legal as long as not no evidence of injury is founded. It was obviously an accident.

After an hour or so, we were visited by the nurse that triaged Maya. She came into the room to check her "vitals" and take a blood sample. Again I explained it was my constitutional right to claim a "religious exemption" from invasive medical intervention such as taking blood samples, administering vaccinations or medication. The nurse was annoyed to say the least and asked me what my religion was. I said "I'm Pagan". She practically laughed in my face and said she couldn't waive "medical clearance", that it was a mandatory step if I wished to see a doctor or crisis counciler. Perhaps I would have been taken seriously if I said was Catholic? I should mention that the source for religious freedom is in the United States Constitution, the First Amendment which states simply:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The opening clause of the First Amendment is commonly known as the "Freedom of Religion" clause or the "Establishment" clause. By operation of the Fourteenth Amendment, the First Amendment is binding upon the states; however, most state constitutions have a similar phrase somewhere within them. So, an action which is in violation of the federal constitution will usually be a violation of the state constitution, as well, thus giving a potential litigant dual causes of action: one in federal law and one in state law."

In any event, a Witch Trial has ensued.

No comments:

Post a Comment